Coconut Lemon Donuts Recipe (NO FLOUR)
Just like brewing your own kombucha, cooking and baking for yourself can have endless benefits- it’s great for the mind, body, and soul: Your whole self! Becoming your Best Self every day requires both mental and physical training; thinking with a mindset geared towards growth, exercising your body for an improved quality of living, and fuelling your journey with feel-great foods.
It truly does all start on the inside: How we choose to nourish our day translates into all aspects of life!
These donuts are a light 114 calories each, and taste like the essence of spring! Lemon and coconut flavours shine in this flourless, digestion-friendly recipe!
For fun (at kombucha by Laurent we all about fun!!), I love to compare the nutritional information of commercial versions with the homemade version:
Homemade Coconut Lemon Donut (makes 9)
114 Calories; 4.3 g Fat; 14.7 g Carbs (11.3 g sugar); 4.5 g Protein
Total Time: 30 minutes
1/2 cup coconut flour, Sifted; 1/2 cup coconut sugar; 5 eggs; 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut; 1 tbsp vanilla extract; Juice of two lemons + their zest; 1 teaspoon baking soda; pinch salt; additional coconut and lemon zest to decorate
1) Preheat oven to 350°.
2) Spray a donut pan with nonstick spray, or gently greased with coconut oil if you would prefer.
3) In a large bowl, combine all ingredients with a whisk or spatula.
4) Using either a commercial piper OR a homemade one. For a homemade donut piper, simply press a ziplock bag into a jar and fold the opening of the bag over the top of the jar. Fill with batter, remove from the jar, and twist the top! Snip the end and you’re ready to pipe!
5) Distribute batter evenly among nine donut wells.
6) Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
7) Remove and allow to cool until the pan is completely cooled.
8) Using a dull knife, gently line the inside of each donut, releasing it from the pan. Place on a wire rack.
9) For optional glaze (not included in nutrition facts), melt a few tbsp coconut oil on low heat- we want to keep it below it’s smoke point as to not denature (or form free
radicals!). Mix in 2 tbsp granulated sweetener of choice. Transfer to wide, shallow bowl, and dip donuts.
10) Top with additional shredded coconut and lemon zest. These are delicious toasted with a bit of butter and a cup of tea!
You could also sandwich a bit of vanilla or coconut milk ice cream between two donuts for a treat on a warmer day!
We at kombucha by laurent wish you all an amazing summer filled with nourishment and fuel for your mind, body, and soul!